There are nine new Nominated Members of Parliament.
But there is one thread binding them together - their commitment to a cause.
And they will be bringing these up in discussions when they take their seats in Parliament on Aug 26.
Corporate lawyer Chia Yong Yong, 52, who has peroneal muscular dystrophy and uses a wheelchair, is keen to champion issues concerning people with disabilities, such as inclusion.
Social entrepreneur Kuik Shiao-Yin, 37, wants to take up measures to maintain racial and religious harmony and guard against extremism.
While National University of Singapore (NUS) vice-provost of student life, Professor Tan Tai Yong, 51 believes Singapore should reflect on social norms.
The other six NMPs are:
• Changi Sports Medicine Centre chief and senior consultant Benedict Tan Chi’-Loong, 47;
• National Trades Union Congress vice-president Karthikeyan s/o R Krishnamurthy, 55;
• Maybank’s head of Islamic community financial services Mohd Ismail bin Hussein, 51;
• Veteran business leader Thomas Chua Kee Seng, 60
• Singapore Board of Architects president Rita Soh Siow Lan, 55; and
• SIM University professor Randolph Tan Gee Kwang, 50.
The new NMPs will take their oath at the next sitting of Parliament on Sept 8.
We've pulled together some articles we've carried on them in the past for this special read.
click here to read